6/14/15

Even Angels Fall by F.L. Darbyshire Review!


After suffering an unthinkable loss, Abbey Miller and her family move to Leeds to rebuild their lives and start again, but the pain and grief that Abbey carries with her is impossible to escape. As she finds herself becoming increasingly isolated from her family, she develops a firm friendship with Lucy, Nathan and Liam, who introduce her to a brand new and exciting world, far removed from all of her problems. But will her new friends bring her the light hearted relief she has longed for? Or will she find herself getting drawn deep into their dangerous and intoxicating world?

Even Angels Fall had a really great start. The prologue really captured my attention and made me want to read more. I have to say that I wasn't really in the mood for a contemporary book, but I still enjoyed this story. Abbey's story was one that stirred up my emotions. Although I didn't connect with her on a personal level, I still felt for her. She was going through a really tough time and her grieving process, however extreme, was still compelling. Alex, the hero of the story, was also a character whose background is really interesting. The way he saw his friends as family was really endearing. Plus, the fact that he helped Abbey when she needed it really pulled on my heart strings. As for the rest of the characters, I couldn't connect to them either. The situations they placed themselves in are ones that I couldn't picture myself in so it was hard to connect with them. However that is a personal thing, not the author's fault. The characters were interesting nevertheless.
I did feel like this book was very description heavy in the beginning, and some people like that. However for me, I love interactions and dialogue between characters. I wished I had seen more of that in the beginning instead of so much description. The dialogue picks up towards the end, but more dialogue in the beginning would have been an added bonus. In addition to a lot of description, the book was a long one. I feel as if it could have been two book. Although I love long books, sometimes too much happens in one book. I liked the book, but the amount of action, events that occurred, and changes that happened in this book were a lot. Again, that's just my preference, and somebody else might love it.
I have to say this book REALLY picked up in the end. Those last few chapters pushed the book from three stars to four for me. I really wish the whole book was like the last few chapters. My heart was really in the story by then, and I finally connected with Abbey in the end. Then that horrible thing happened and I almost cried. What a heartbreaking way to end a book. I did NOT expect this book to end like that, and now I don't even know what to do with myself. I can't even believe the book I started with was the book I ended with. I wasn't in the mood for a contemporary like this, but the ending really captured my attention and that mood changed quickly. I just wish there was more to the ending. I have to say, if the whole book was like that ending then it would have been a five star book for me. In the end, my emotions were triggered and my heart strings were pulled.
If I step away from the fact that I wasn't really in the mood for this book then I would still say I liked the story. The characters are really interesting, and the story is full of great content. It had drama, action, romance, dangerous people, and all of the stuff that good books require. All in all, I liked the book. This book was a 3.5/4 star book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment